35 Ways to Emphasize Christ in Christmas in order to keep the true holiday spirit alive in your heart & home!
Christmas is a wonderful time of year, but with it comes our natural human tendencies towards selfishness & worldly desires. And while there is nothing wrong with candy canes & Christmas presents it is easy to get wrapped up in the little things & forget the importance of this time of year.
So in an attempt to ensure that I personally do not overlook or disregard the beautiful meaning of Christmas I thought I would create list of 35 Ways to Emphasize Christ in Christmas.
1. Begin Christmas morning with a special family worship to start your morning focusing on God & family.
2. Attend your church’s Christmas Eve service.
3. Create your own nativity pageant with all the kids in your family & extended family.
I have watched many of Roger’s family home movies of their nativity pageant that they created & performed for many years as children.
4. Spend one day a week removed from the commercialized Christmas & enjoy the pure beauty of CHRISTmas.
5. Add a Christmas Bible verse to your family Christmas cards.
6. Read both the Old Testament prophesies & all of the New Testament chapters on the birth of Christ.
7. At the end of each day in December write down one specific way God has blessed you that day & place it in a bowl. Then on Christmas Eve go through & read everyone’s notes & say a special prayer thanking God for all of His blessings, & especially for sending His Son in the form of a baby.
8. Create sugar cookies in the shape of stars & angels.
9. Collect cans & dried food for those in need.
10. Attend a “Behold the Lamb” Christmas Concert (by Andrew Peterson).
11. Do a toy drive in your neighborhood or school.
12. Ask your pastor if there is a struggling family in need & anonymously create a Christmas dinner & maybe even give a special gift to the family or children. No matter what you give the act of giving is a reflection of God’s love.
13. Read stories from the Christmas in My Heart book series.
Our favorite is #15.
15. Go christmas caroling singing traditional Christmas hymns.
16. Make food baskets for those in need. Maybe even partner with you church & give the baskets to them to be given anonymously to those in need.
17. Create a nativity scene (miniature or life size).
18. Anonymously give a basket of homemade Christmas cookies with a Bible verse or the story of Christ’s birth to your neighbors or friends.
19. Paint or draw a scene based on the nativity story, like the angels speaking to the shepherds.
20. Collect coats, mittens, & hats for those in need.
21. Spend a few minutes each night listening to Christmas songs that focus on the birth of Christ, I personally love the Behold the Lamb album.
22. Spend a night with all of your electronics turned off enjoying the fellowship of family & remembering that God gave His Son to us.
23. Attend a Christmas play or pageant held by your local church.
24. Create a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child.
25. Donate some time to a soup kitchen.
26. Go with your friends & family to a retirement center & sing Christmas hymns and fellowship with the elderly.
27. Welcome in anyone you know who has no one else to spend Christmas with & enjoy Christmas dinner together.
28. Spend an evening watching Christmas VeggieTales with your kids.
29. Have a Christmas party focused on Christ. You could even include many things from this list, such as the angel shaped cookies, the christmas stories, etc.
30. Participate in the Salvation Army Angel Tree Program.
31. Have a Christmas Eve agape feast.
32. Write encouraging letters to soldiers through Soldier’s Angels.
33. Create bags filled with food bars, water, a bible, new socks, mittens, scarf, ect. for the homeless. Then when you see someone on the side of the road asking for help you will have a special Christmas gift to give them.
34. Have your first present on Christmas day be a gift to God. Write down something you are going to give to God & put it in a special prewrapped box or stocking that you display every Christmas so that each year you can remember your gift to God & all the gifts He has given you.
35. Make a homemade Christmas tree Angel with your children to top your Christmas tree.
Looking for more ways to celebrate Christmas? Here are 50 Christmas Date Ideas!
With love, G
I will praise God’s name in song & glorify Him with thanksgiving.
More Christmas posts by Domestically Blissful
Affiliate links included in this post.
Join Domestically Blissful's Newsletter
Join me & thousands of others as
we create bliss through
faith, food, home & travel.