This Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread with streusel & icing drizzle is the perfect way to use up your extra apples & bananas & it makes your home smell as delicious as this bread tastes!
Several years ago I attempted making Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread & it was a complete fail.
Roger was in dental school in Birmingham & we had just gotten back from a weekend trip to visit our families in Chattanooga. While there we had stopped by a local apple orchard & picked up a large bag full of the sweetest crisp apples. I couldn’t wait to start baking!
So you can imagine the disappointment! It is so frustrating to have your whole house filled with the delicious scent of cinnamon apples only to discover that the juiciness of the apples caused the batter around them not to bake.
But don’t worry, since this disappointing disaster I have learned a lot about baking & come prepared today with a streusel-topped apple cinnamon banana bread recipe that is so good you won’t want to share!
My biggest mistake all those years ago was not coating the diced apples before adding it to the banana bread batter. And if I remember correctly, I may have cooked the apples too, like I do for my Apple Cinnamon Scones, which did not help the matter.
This knowledge was a huge help when I developed my Strawberry Banana Bread recipe earlier this spring.
And since strawberries are way more juicy than apples I can’t even begin to imagine the mushy mess disaster that was averted.
So since our pantry is again filled with apples it seemed time to develop a fall fruit banana bread recipe that will make you feel all warm & cozy inside.
And while you won’t want to share your streusel banana bread, it’s kind of hard not to share the scrumptious treat with all of your friends & family!
There is something about fall that makes me want to bake, I’m thinking maybe because Roger keeps our house so cold… So since I have been baking so much recently I am trying to get better at sharing our baked goods.
This last time I made one loaf for us & two mini loafs for Roger’s office. And while I am really horrible at accepting compliments, I love making people smile when they bite into something delicious!
And believe me, this Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread is even better than it looks!
- Cinnamon Streusel Ingredients
- 1/3 Cup Light or Brown Sugar (Packed)
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 & 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread Ingredients
- 4 Large Over Ripened Bananas*(1)
- 2 & 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 & 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter Room Temperature
- 2 Large Egg
- 4 Heaping Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Apple Filling Ingredients
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Peeled & Diced Apples
- 3 Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Icing Drizzle Ingredients
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- First, spray the bread pans with oil & preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash the bananas on a plate, removing any bad spots, & set them to the side.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients, except the sugar, in a bowl and set to the side.
- In a separate bowl blend the 1 cup of sugar & the 1/2 cup of butter into a nice cream. Then add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in 4 heaping tablespoons sour cream & 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- Mix the mashed bananas into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until combined, & do not over mix.
- In a small bowl toss the 1 & 1/2 cups of diced apples with 3 tablespoons of flour & 1 teaspoon of cinnamon until all of the apple bits are well coated.
- Fold the cinnamon flour covered diced apples into your banana bread batter so that they are evenly dispersed.
- Pour your banana bread mixture into the bread pan & bake for 25 minutes. Once golden brown cover with foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- *1. I often use defrosted frozen bananas, just be sure to remove any excess liquid & make sure that the bananas are thoroughly defrosted & at room temperature before adding it to your mix.
What is your favorite fruit or flavor addition to banana bread?
I’d love to hear from you!
Feel free to comment below, email me, or tweet me on Twitter.
With love, Giustina
Your ways, God, are holy.
What god is as great as our God?
Psalm 77:13 NIV