Chewy Watermelon Fries with whipped coconut dip is a surprising summer treat made from leftover watermelon.
I’m going to be completely honest. This is an interesting recipe. It’s crazy easy, but it’s only for those who LOVE watermelon & desire a concentrated form/flavor of watermelon.
Also, it helps to have patience, because you will need it!
This recipe reminds me of the Watermelon Fruit Leathers I made a few years back, however, these Chewy Watermelon Fries did take less prep work!
So, if you prefer quick watermelon recipes, but are still interested in finding something unique, you will want to check out all of my watermelon recipes & posts by clicking here. There are a ton!!
Or, if you prefer to watch videos, you can check out my other watermelon recipes & tutorials by watching them on Facebook or Youtube, including Frozen Patriotic Watermelon Pops, Watermelon Pizza, & this DIY Watermelon Vase.
And while you are there, be sure to subscribe & check out all of my other videos on Youtube!
These Chewy Watermelon Fries are a great rainy day recipe, as you will need to leave these Chewy Watermelon Fries in your oven to dehydrate for many hours. You could cut them up & pop them in the oven in the morning & hopefully (fingers crossed) be enjoying them as a late evening snack. If not, you could always turn off your oven that night & then eat them for breakfast the next morning!
These have to be one of the healthiest fries so it doesn’t really matter when you eat them!
Plus, this is the perfect recipe for leftover watermelon or for all of the watermelon chunks you have scooped out of your DIY Watermelon Vase!
You could easily create these Watermelon Fries (also known as watermelon jerky) in your dehydrator, but as it’s not something that is as common in every household I made mine in the oven.
If you don’t have a Silpat, you could easily use the trick I used when creating these Watermelon Fruit Leathers!
And if you are looking for more watermelon recipes, be sure to check out all of my watermelon posts by clicking here, which includes recipes like Watermelon Cupcakes, Watermelon Fruit Leathers, Frozen Patriotic Watermelon Pops, & much more!
I’m sure you can tell by now that we love watermelon!!
- Chilled Canned Coconut Milk*(1)
- Vanilla Extract
- Sweeter (Sugar or Honey) - Optional
- Dried Shredded Coconut
- First, preheat your oven to the lowest temperature. *(2)
- Slice your watermelon into oversized fries *(3) & place onto a silpat or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-12 hours or until the watermelon is chewy to crisp. *(4)
- Once the watermelon fries are done, open your can of chilled coconut milk & scoop out the solid section on top & place it in a bowl.
- Whip the chilled solid coconut milk with a blender until fluffy, then add vanilla extract (I used about 1/4 teaspoon) & sweeter to taste. *(5)
- Place your whipped coconut cream in a bowl, top it with shredded coconut & serve alongside your Chewy Watermelon Fries.
- *1. Place the canned coconut milk in your fridge overnight before making this recipe. I used Thai Kitchen Pure Coconut Milk.
- *2. No higher than 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- *3. The watermelon will shrink as the watermelon liquid/juice evaporates.
- *4. This can take up to 24 hours. If you don't feel comfortable leaving your oven on overnight, simply turn it off (leaving your watermelon fries in the oven) & then turn it back on in the morning.
- *5. If the whipped coconut cream is too thick add 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining coconut milk & continue blending. Add more as needed to create a creamy consistency.
I’d love to hear from you!
Feel free to comment below, email me, or tweet me on Twitter.
With love, G
As for me, I will call upon God,
And the Lord shall save me.
Evening and morning & at noon
I will pray, & cry aloud,
And He shall hear my voice.
More Domestically Blissful Recipes:
Join Domestically Blissful's Newsletter
Join me & thousands of others as
we create bliss through
faith, food, home & travel.