I am so excited to share this Chocolate Crepes with Sweet Cream Cheese Filling recipe with you!! Like seriously, you have no idea. This is a recipe that has been passed down through the generations in my family. This rich chocolatey recipe came from my Oma (my father’s mother) & my whole family has always called them (Dutch) chocolate pancakes. Every time we would visit my grandparents my Oma would have these Chocolate Crepes filled with her homemade vanilla custard already rolled & ready for us to enjoy.
One of my favorite things about my little Filipino Oma (ps It’s my Opa who was from Holland) is that she loved to hide things & keep things a secret, including this recipe. Every time she would share this recipe with friends & family, or share it in a church/school cookbook, she would change the recipe just slightly. So over the years my mother collected & compiled her different chocolate crepe recipes in order to make one complete recipe, the same recipe that I am sharing with you today!
At a young age my sister & I learned how to cook these chocolate crepes for our father & all of his brothers. I’m pretty sure I’m better at hand hand flipping these chocolate crepe pancakes (yes with my bare fingers!!) than I am at flipping breakfast pancakes with a spatula!
These Chocolate Crepes are sinfully rich with chocolate & wrapped around a sweet & tangy cream cheese filling.
ps. I’ll be sure to share my Oma’s homemade vanilla custard someday, but to be honest we often cheat & just make a boxed vanilla custard.
I didn’t attach a number of how many this recipe makes because it makes a lot & I have a tendency to get distracted & lose count after about 25. Plus the number will vary depending on the size of your fry pan ours range from 6-7 inches.
- 3 Eggs
- 4 Cups Water
- 8 Tablespoons Unsweetened Coco Powder (we like to mix together a variety of different brands)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Self Rising Flour
- 5-6 Tablespoons Sugar*
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Vegetable Oil
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened (Room Temperature)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8th Cup French Vanilla Creamer
- First whisk 3 eggs in a medium bowl & then whisk in 4 cups of water.
- In a separate large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (8 Tablespoons Coco Powder, 1 Cup All Purpose Flour, 1 Cup Self Rising Flour, 5-6 Tablespoons Sugar, 1 Pinch Salt).
- Using a hand blender slowly blend the egg water into the dry ingredients until it is thoroughly blended with no lumps.**
- Heat a small fry pan at medium low heat & wipe vegetable oil on the base & sides of the pan with a paper towel.***
- Pour a little less than 1/4 cup**** of crepe batter in the bottom of your pan & swirl it around so that it covers the base of your pan.
- Once the crepe has some bubbles & begins to pull away from the sides, use a heat proof spatula to carefully flip the crepe (or if you are use to the heat of a kitchen you can use your fingers - just don't burn yourself!).
- The crepe is finished cooking when it easily slides off the pan.
- Place your crepe on a plate & repeat the above steps until you have used all of the batter.
- Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap while the crepes are still hot & place them in the fridge.*****
- Blend the cream cheese & powdered sugar together along with the lemon juice & vanilla extract for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Then blend in the French vanilla creamer. If it's too thick just blend in a little more French vanilla creamer to your desired thickness.
- You can serve the crepes on a plate with the filling on the side so each individual can fill their own or you can pre wrap them & serve your Chocolate Crepes with Sweet Cream Cheese Filling on a pretty platter.******
- *If you enjoy bitter chocolate you will only need 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.
- **The final crepe "batter" will be extremely thin, almost like water.
- ***To keep my chocolate crepes from sticking I use a small plate with a little bit of oil on it & between each finished crepe I use a paper towel to wipe a little bit of oil on the bottom & edges of the fry pan.
- ****The measurement isn't exact because it will depend on the size of your fry pan. Ours is about 6-7 inches & we use between 1/8th cup & 1/4 cup of batter for each crepe. Just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- *****By covering & refrigerating your crepes while they are still hot you will trap in the heat/moisture & it will be easier to fill/roll all of your your crepes at once later. Because these can take a little bit of time to make we usually cook them the night before we plan to eat them.
- ******For a berry drizzle simply blend some berries into a purée & sweeten with a little bit of sugar. Keep stored in a sealed container in your fridge for 3-5 days.
I’d love to see your Chocolate Crepes with Sweet Cream Cheese Filling! Instagram your Domestically Blissful inspired recipes & DIY projects with the hashtag #DomesticallyBlissful & you might find your picture featured on DB’s Instagram!
With love, G
Affiliated links included in this post.
More recipes by Domestically Blissful:
Join Domestically Blissful's Newsletter
Join me & thousands of others as
we create bliss through
faith, food, home & travel.