I love orzo! I’m not sure if this is because of the size or the texture of the pasta, but I do know that it is so much fun to make and to eat! This Creamy Asparagus Orzo recipe is super easy and absolutely delicious. If you are not a big fan of asparagus you could easily swap the asparagus for zucchini, or any other vegetable you like. My husband and I also like to use a variety of cheeses when making this dish. Sometimes we just use Parmesan, other times we mix Parmesan and Havarti (we love Havarti) or Parmesan and Gouda. So have fun and get creative with this recipe using your favorite vegetables and cheeses!
What you’ll need:
8 oz of Orzo (1 cup)
2 handfuls of asparagus (about 1 cup)
1/4th cup of half & half (or you could splurge and use heavy cream)
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup of parmesan
Lemon (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Dried oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil (to taste)
This recipe makes enough for 2-3 people (as a main dish).
In a pan of salted boiling water stir in the 1 cup of orzo.
While the orzo is cooking clean the asparagus and snap off the blunt ends. Then cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
After the orzo has been cooking for 5 minutes add the cut asparagus to the pan of orzo.
After the orzo and asparagus have been cooking together for 5 minutes (or when the orzo is tender – we don’t want you to break a tooth!) drain and return the ingredients to the pan.
With the stove on low, add the butter and the cheese. Once mixed well add the cream (the cream will cool your pasta, make sure you keep the stove on to ensure that your food is warm for eating).
Now to add flavor! I love to add a good squeeze of lemon, a little bit of salt and pepper, along with some dried oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil.
All that’s left is to eat and enjoy!
Creamy Asparagus Orzo
- 8 oz of Orzo (1 cup)
- 2 handfuls of asparagus (about 1 cup)
- 1/4th cup of half & half (or you could splurge and use heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup of parmesan
- Lemon (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Dried oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil (to taste)
- Cook the orzo in a pan of salted boiling water.
- Clean and cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- Add the cut asparagus to the pan after the orzo has been cooking for 5 minutes.
- Once the orzo is tender (about 5 more minutes) drain and return the ingredients to the pan.
- With the stove on low, add the butter and cheese, then mix in the cream.
- To taste, add lemon, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2