DIY White Painted Book Decor to add to your bookshelf decor.
In the midst of building our living room built-ins (click here to see the reveal) I began my search for bookshelf decor.
I knew I wanted to do a little bit of shopping, add a mixture of photos and souvenirs from our travels, along with some DIY decor.
After having built and styled these floating shelves on the landing of our second floor earlier this year I knew I needed to start planning and gathering these items as we were building the shelves.
Partly because I wanted to take my time finding just the right items, but also because I was eager to share our built-ins reveal as soon as we finished.
One thing I knew I wanted to add was white books to our shelves but I didn’t want to buy them when I knew I could make them.
So I set off to my parent’s house.
I went up into their attic and gathered a bunch of the leftover books that we used for decor at our wedding
And I am so excited that I was able to find a way to repurpose these books a second time in a beautiful way for our home.
1. First, open the books and lay them on the cardboard with the hardback facing up.
2. Next, paint the outside of the hardback, being careful to avoid the pages.
To help prevent paint from getting on the pages you can wrap them in a plastic grocery bag secured with painters tape.
Depending on the material and color of the hardback book you may need 2-3 coats with the books laid flat like this.
Let dry thoroughly between each coat.
4. Close the book and paint the joint on the front of the book and let it dry.
5. Flip the book over and paint the back joint as well.
6. Once dry, open the book and paint 1 inch of the inside of the front hardback cover (the part that is visible when the book is closed), let dry, and repeat on the back inside of the hardback cover.
7. Repeat this process on all of the books.
8. Once the books are thoroughly dry, stack the books on your shelf, and enjoy your crazy easy DIY!
I hope this DIY tutorial helps you as you decorate your home!
If you are looking for more home decor inspiration you can find many more home posts, inspiration, and tutorials by clicking here.
And if you use this post to help you on a DIY project for your home, be sure to share a picture and tag @DomesticallyBlissful on Instagram so that we can all see your beautiful DIY and so that I can share your photo on my stories!
And if you enjoyed this post, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter below so that you don’t miss out on another blissful tutorial!
Where do you plan to display your painted books?
Feel free to comment below, email me, or tweet me on Twitter!
With love, Giusti
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Matthew 24:35 NIV