It has been a long time since I have transformed a recipe post & I have been dying to redo this post for sometime. This Lemon Blueberry Scones recipe was one of my first posts that I created before I even shared Domestically Blissful with the world, or at least before I shared my blog with my friends & family. So it was in desperate need for a transformation!
But enough about that! You’re hear to check out my Lemon Blueberry Scones!
These Lemon Blueberry Scones are literally bursting with fresh summer flavor! When I make these scones in the winter I use frozen blueberries & while they are still delicious there is just something extra special (almost magical) about making scones with fresh berries (which is why I waited to recreate this recipe). So last Sunday I woke up early before we headed back to Birmingham & I picked about a half gallon of gorgeous organic blueberries for enjoying & baking this week. And boy, am I glad I did!
These are the most gorgeous scones I have ever made & they taste amazing too! The sweetness of fresh bursting blueberries are perfectly paired with the zesty tart lemons, which make these scones worth coming back for seconds & thirds!
But don’t take my word for it. You must try these Lemon Blueberry Scones for yourself!
This Lemon Blueberry Scone recipe makes 12 scones or 24 mini scones.
- 2 & 3/4 Cups Flour + Extra for Stickiness
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Stick of Cold Butter (½ Cup)
- 1½ Heaping Cups of Blueberries
- Lemon Zest from 1 Lemon
- ½ Cup Half & Half
- ½ Cup French Vanilla Creamer (Plus some extra to brush each scone before baking)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon French Vanilla Creamer
- First, preheat your oven to 400° degrees,*(1) then in a bowl sift all of the dry ingredients 2 & 3/4 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 pinch of salt, & ¼ cup sugar.
- Use your hands to crumble one stick of butter into the dry ingredients.*(2)
- Next, fold in the 1 & 1/2 heaping cups of blueberries.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients & pour in your ½ cup of half & half & your ½ cup of French vanilla creamer & gently combine the ingredients.*(3)
- Baking Note*(4)
- Split the scone dough in half & place both halves on a floured surface & using your hands (with a little extra flour) to shape the dough into round disks about 2 inches thick. 2 dough disks makes 12 scones. 4 dough disks makes 24 mini scones.
- Cut the dough into scones with a pizza cutter or big knife. Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper & brush each scone with French vanilla creamer.
- Place the scones in your preheated oven and bake them for 20 minutes.
- Your Lemon Blueberry Scones are done baking when they are lightly golden on top.
- While the scones are cooling, in a small bowl mix the 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, & 1 tablespoon French Vanilla Creamer.*(5)
- Drizzle each Lemon Blueberry Scone with icing & enjoy.
- Keep stored in a loosely sealed container for up to one week.*(6)
- *(1) If you are going to freeze the dough later before baking just hold off on heating your oven.
- *(2) You want the butter crumbles to be somewhat small, about the size of large peas, & dispersed throughout the dry ingredients.
- *(3) Make sure that you don’t over mix, simply make sure that all of the ingredients are evenly combined to make a dough.
- *(4) You can go ahead & shape/bake your scones if you are in a hurry, but I like to first place my scone dough in the freezer for 30-45 minutes (covered in cling wrap) so that the butter gets nice & cold. That way when the scones bake there will be yummy pockets of butter in your scones!
- *(5) For a thicker icing add more powdered sugar. For thinner add more French Vanilla Creamer.
- *(6) When left in a sealed container the scones become too moist. I like to store my scones by leaving them on the baking sheet in the oven. Just make sure you don't forget they are in their when you turn on your oven!
I’d love to see your Lemon Blueberry Scones! Instagram your Domestically Blissful inspired recipes & DIY projects with the hashtag #DomesticallyBlissful & you might find your picture featured on DB’s Instagram!
With love, G
Affiliate links included in this post.
More recipes by Domestically Blissful:
Join Domestically Blissful's Newsletter
Join me & thousands of others as
we create bliss through
food, home, faith, & travel.