Our third month of house building with a video update of our dream home, oh & lot’s of rain!!
I held off on sharing June’s progress report video (I didn’t even bother with a post) because of the same issue of nothing really changing.
And now that July is over I’m starting to wonder if I should just stop sharing these progress reports.
Because let’s face it, we haven’t seen much progress.
And the most frustrating part is that there is nothing anyone can do about it because it is out of our control.
We are literally just waiting for it to stop raining.
Come on weather, it’s August! Don’t you know southeast Tennesee is usually in the middle of a drought by now?
So here are the 3 reasons why we still haven’t started framing:
- While there have been a few sunny days (far & few between I might add), pretty much all framing projects in the area are running behind schedule, so before any framer can start on our house they have to finish the projects they already started & those that they had booked prior to ours. Thanks, rain!
- On Sunday our contractor told us he found a good framer that could start framing Monday morning (July 30) weather permitting. Monday morning came, the weather looked like it would hold off (at least for that day) so they could start & we were super excited! But then we got a call from our framer saying that a good portion of this framer’s crew left for a bigger project. Can’t blame anyone but the crew that left their boss hanging.
- Yesterday (August 1) we received a call from our contractor saying that the original framer he had in mind for our house had a project fall through & that he would be coming to start the framing on our house this morning (weather permitting). And if you saw my Insta Stories, or if you live in the Chattanooga area & looked outside today you know it has been raining all day. It’s a whiteout up at our house. At one point the clouds started to move away & I could start to see some blurry shapes in the valley, but that was quickly covered up by more clouds & rain.
But while there hasn’t been much progress on the actual building of our house, Roger & I have been making quite a bit of progress on picking things out for our house.
Here are a few of the things we’ve accomplished this month:
- We finalized our window & exterior door order.
- We have picked out all of our sink faucets, shower faucets, bathtub faucet, & bathtub for our master bathroom. We’ve even ordered our soaking tub & it should be arriving in the next few weeks.
- We’ve started picking out light fixtures. I’m determined to be under budget on this & even have a spreadsheet on my computer with prices & links to different options in order to stay on budget. (We also did this for our faucets, but since Roger cared more about the look of those & I care more about the look of the lights I let him handle all of that.)
- Also, we started looking at countertop options for our kitchen, laundry room, & master bathroom vanities. We know we are way ahead on this, but the place we are planning to purchase our counters from gets a new shipment every 3-4 weeks & every shipment is different. So we figured we should get a head start so we don’t miss out on our/my dream kitchen counters.
So now that you are all caught up on everything & nothing be sure to click here to see the YouTube progress video!
Don’t worry, I promise it’s not a video of me crying while gazing out the window at the rain!
What took the longest on your house build?
I’d love to hear from you!
Feel free to comment below, email me, or tweet me on Twitter.
With love, Giustina
I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
Psalm 119:60 NIV