UPDATE: Love Watermelon? Don’t miss out on these awesome Watermelon recipes!
Frozen Patriotic Watermelon Pops | Fresh Mozzarella Watermelon Salad Stack | Watermelon Syrup
Fresh Watermelon Cupcakes | Watermelon Ice
Watermelon Fruit Leathers are the perfect healthy treat this summer & you only need 2 ingredients!
Growing up I loved Fruit Leathers! I liked Fruit Roll-Ups, they were a sugary sweet treat every child enjoys, but my favorite were the berry fruit leathers at the checkout of our local health food store.
Anytime I saw them I was sure to ask my mom for one. They were a special treat & my favorites were the raspberry & mixed berry flavors!
This last week our fridge somehow became overloaded with fruit, although truth be told my husband went fruit crazy. Outside of the 10 peaches, a large carton of strawberries, half a cantaloupe, & bananas, I cut up a huge watermelon that took up over 6 large containers! That is way too much fruit for just two people!
So I decided to take part in one of my favorite reasons of being a blogger by creating these homemade Watermelon Fruit Leathers.
The thing about making fruit leathers is that you have to be patient, they take a long time to bake at a very low temperature. This is even more true when you are making fruit leathers out of a watery fruit like watermelon. And unfortunately I have always struggled with patience…
Truth be told, I enjoyed making & eating these Watermelon Fruit Leather’s, but they only made about 10 fruit roll ups from the 10 cups of watermelon. So that was a bit of a disappointment.
While I enjoy watermelon, my favorite fruits are cherries, strawberries, mangos, & blueberries. So while I enjoyed the Watermelon Fruit Leathers these Strawberry Fruit Leathers are my favorite. However, if you love watermelon this fruit leather is perfect for you!
The best part is that these homemade Watermelon Fruit Leathers are super easy to make, great for lunches or a snack, & you’ll only need 2 ingredients!
- 10 Cups Diced Watermelon
- Sugar or Honey (optional & to taste)
- First, preheat your oven to the lowest temperature*(1) possible & line a baking sheet with good quality plastic wrap. *(2)
- Blend all of the watermelon in your food processor & place it in a mesh colander lined with paper towels to drain out the excess liquid. *(3)
- If you desire to sweeten your watermelon, place the pureed watermelon back in the blender with your choice of sweeter & blend until the sweetener is evenly dispersed. If need be place the puree back in the colander one last time to remove any excess liquid.
- Evenly spread the watermelon puree onto the center of the baking sheet using a spatula so that it is approximately 1/4 inch thick. *(4)
- Bake the Watermelon Fruit Leathers for 6-8 hours, rotating the pan every hour. *(5)
- The Watermelon Fruit Leather is done baking when it is no longer shiny & has a matte appearance, it will also no longer be super sticky. *(6)
- Let cool completely before removing the Watermelon Fruit Leather from the baking sheet.
- Carefully pull the plastic wrap/fruit leather off the baking sheet & flip it onto a piece of parchment paper, fruit leather down. Remove the plastic wrap from the Watermelon Fruit Leather, cut off any excess fruit leather with a pizza cutter, & the excess parchment paper along the length side with clean kitchen scissors.
- Cut the fruit leathers/parchment paper into long strips, about an inch wide, & roll them up.
- All that's love is to eat & enjoy! *(7)
- *1. I set my oven at 170 degrees F.
- *2. It's best to use a plastic wrap that is microwavable and can tolerate low levels of heat so that it doesn't melt in the oven and mess up your yummy Watermelon Fruit Leather. Also, make sure the plastic wrap has no ripples when placed on the baking sheet so that the Watermelon Fruit Leather won’t have any weird lines or ripples once its baked.
- *3. I used a wooden spoon to push the excess watermelon liquid through the colander.
- *4. Try to avoid spreading it to the edges of the pan for easy removal.
- *5. If you are baking more than one pan at a time make sure to rotate from top to bottom every hour as well as rotating it on the rack.
- *6. If your finger doesn't leave an impression when touching it, & if the fruit leather can be carefully separated from the plastic wrap without easily ripping, then it is done baking.
- *7. Keep your Watermelon Fruit Leathers stored in an airtight container for 3-5 days at room temperature or up to a week in the fridge.
I’d love to see your Watermelon Fruit Leathers!
Feel free to comment below, email me, or tweet me on Twitter!
With love, G
If we confess our sins,
He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9
More Recipes from Domestically Blissful
Join Domestically Blissful's Newsletter
Join me & thousands of others as
we create bliss through
food, home, faith, & travel.